|missmelysse||Sep. 6th, 2007 01:59 pm DFW: Geography and Call for ML volunteers|
Hey DFW Wrimos, it's me, Zoetrope, with a new username.1 comment - Leave a comment
Based on early responses on the yahoo list and to the blast mail that went out from the NaNo Boards (did you know there are 1017 names on that list??? Now you do!)
Here's what I'm thinking:
1) Being a new ML with no one to guide you is extremely difficult. I'm willing to stay on as a sort of virtual ML and help handle forums and help with advice/suggestions, if y'all want me to. I can't really offer more than this. I don't want to tell Erin to take me off the ML list until we've resolved the need for volunteers.
2) I think we need a Fort Worth ML and a Dallas ML who actually live in their city, to handle the job of coordinating kick-off and tgio. I suggest one on each side, on different days, because there are people who will want to mingle with both sides. This division isn't because of personality conflicts, after all, it's because of geography.
3) We've ALWAYS stressed that ANYONE can host write-ins. It might be helpful to have a few write-in coordinators who schedule them, and even host them, in their cities.
4) I think we should leave the forum united.
Many of you have asked what the ML responsibilities are. They are as follows:
1) NaNoWriMo.org requires that you have successfully completed NaNoWriMo in a previous year, in order to be an official ML.
2) Responsibilities include arranging kickoff, tgio, and write-ins, mentoring new WriMos, and providing support and encouragment.
3) In theory, you're also supposed to finish your own NaNovel at the same time.
4) Gift bags and such are NOT a requirement. Swag's nice, but the money for that has always come from our own pockets. Be aware that you'll be doing this without a budget. NaNoWriMo supplies things like tattoos and buttons, for ML's to distribute.
I'm going to post this as a blast mail, and to the forum as well, and strongly suggest we take this to the forum, since some folks aren't on the list.
Thank you all for your feedback.